Re: First release of ly/tablature.ly

From: Joe Neeman
Subject: Re: First release of ly/tablature.ly
Date: Wed, 24 Jun 2009 22:24:52 +0300

On Tue, 2009-06-23 at 12:53 -0600, Carl D. Sorensen wrote:
> > http://codereview.appspot.com/67174/diff/1/2#newcode237
> > Line 237: \layout {
> > It seems to me that we have 3 versions of tablature now: the "default"
> > version in engraver-init.ly, the version that appears if the user
> > includes "tablature.ly" and the "full" version that the user gets by
> > including tablature.ly and using the tabFullNotation. Is there a reason
> > for keeping the old versions in engraver-init.ly? Perhaps we should
> > scrap them altogether and require that the user include tablature.ly in
> > order to get tabs.
>
> The current structure comes because I suggested we keep the default the
> same, so that we wouldn't break all of the existing tablatures.  But Marc
> wanted to have TabNumbersOnly be the default (and that's why it's
> implemented that way in tablature.ly).
>
> The tabFullNotation is probably almost the same as that in engraver-init.ly.
>
> If we don't mind breaking previously existing scores, then we can go ahead
> and change the initialization to numbers only.

I don't particularly mind breaking existing scores (as long as there is
a convert-ly rule to at least warn about the problem), but I don't think
the situation in the patch is particularly friendly. We've a long
tradition of choosing sensible behaviour over backwards compatibility
and I see no reason to change it now.

Joe