Re: LilyPond Mac GUI update

From: Jonathan Kulp
Subject: Re: LilyPond Mac GUI update
Date: Tue, 30 Jun 2009 15:34:26 -0500

Patrick McCarty wrote:
Hello LilyPond developers!

Some improvements to the Mac GUI have been integrated into GUB.  You
can find the list of changes here:

http://codereview.appspot.com/88076/show

Graham and I would appreciate any feedback on functionality from those
running Mac OS X 10.3, 10.4, or 10.5.  The test installers can be
found here:

Intel Macs:
http://uoregon.edu/~pmccarty/download/lilypond-2.13.3-0.darwin-x86.tar.bz2

PPC Macs:
http://uoregon.edu/~pmccarty/download/lilypond-2.13.3-0.darwin-ppc.tar.bz2

I can report success with Mac OS X 10.5.6 (both versions).  If these
work, Graham will roll another development release with the changes.
Many thanks to Christian Hitz for all of the improvements!

I tried it on a PPC running 10.4.11. Files compile fine from the gui or the command line. Updating syntax from the gui didn't work. It got hung at the point where it echoes the versions and it never exited. The "stop" button was grayed out where I couldn't press it, too. Maybe it was successful, since it did change the version number in the file, but looking at the little window it seemed like it didn't ever finish. Running convert-ly at command line worked, but only after I changed the first line of convert-ly to

  #!/usr/bin/env python

Same thing for lilypond-book. Is there a reason not to change this for real in the Python scripts? Would it break something on Linux or Windows, for example? Before I knew how to fix it, this made me crazy. It exits with errors, opens Firefox and takes me to the Python website saying I need to install Python when I know very well that a current Python is already installed. Very annoying...

Anything else I should try?

Jon
--
Jonathan Kulp