Re: lilybuntu confusion

From: Carl D. Sorensen
Subject: Re: lilybuntu confusion
Date: Tue, 30 Jun 2009 16:07:08 -0600

On 6/30/09 1:30 PM, "Mark Polesky" <address@hidden> wrote:

> regarding this...
> http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/lilypond-devel/2009-06/msg00294.html
> http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/lilypond-devel/2009-06/msg00303.html
>
> Jonathan Kulp wrote:
>> After making the .iso I tested it in Sun VirtualBox OSE and
>> everything worked perfectly. Here are the exact steps I
>> followed (see if you think they're noob-friendly enough):
>>
>> 1. Install the OS in VirtualBox, then restart the virtual
>>    machine and log in
>> 2. open a terminal
>> 3. open firefox
>> 4. Get lilypond source code from git by copying the terminal
>>    commands in CG (have to use Ctrl+Shift+V to paste into
>>    terminal)
>> 5. run ./autogen.sh, then "make all" and "sudo make install"
>> 6. cd Documentation/user
>> 7. make doc
>> 8. use Evince to view pdf output
>
> Please forgive my ignorance/ineptitude, but I'm stuck on step 1.
> Which OS do I install in VirtualBox, and what do I do with the
> .iso that I downloaded?

You install the operating system that is on the .iso you downloaded.

Being on a windows machine, you may need to burn a cd from the .iso, then
install from the cd.

There are some free utilities for Windows that allow you to mount an .iso
directly, and hence to install the operating system from the .iso.

I did a Google search of windows .iso mount, and got several.

One that is open source and claims to work with both XP and Vista is
WinCDEmu:  http://sourceforge.net/projects/wincdemu

Hope this helps,

Carl