Re: releases situation

From: Han-Wen Nienhuys
Subject: Re: releases situation
Date: Fri, 18 Sep 2009 22:27:38 -0300

On Fri, Sep 18, 2009 at 2:26 PM, Graham Percival
<address@hidden> wrote:
> Ok, no release today, at most 2 hours of work on Monday, and an
> unknown (but fairly small) amount of time after that.
>
> ******
> * could people please avoid pushing stuff to master on Tuesday,
> * from 8am UK time to 5pm UK time?  that would help reduce the
> * amount of needless compiling I need to do,
> *   yes, it would be nice if the build system didn't have
> *   this problem, but it does, so let's make the best of the
> *   situation.  This won't be a long-term thing; just until
> *   2.13.4 is out.

It does; it is called branching.

- Create a local repository, with a branch release
- pull changes into your local repository that you feel comfortable with
- fix issues in your local repo, without pushing back to savannah
- point you gub to repository file://home/graham/vc/lilypond, using
branch=release.

Now, GUB will build the version that is on your disk.

after releasing, merge the release branch back into master.