Re: Engraving essay questions and RFC

From: Jonathan Wilkes
Subject: Re: Engraving essay questions and RFC
Date: Thu, 8 Oct 2009 14:59:35 -0700 (PDT)

> Message: 2
> Date: Wed, 7 Oct 2009 22:18:12 -0600
> From: Andrew Hawryluk <address@hidden>
> Subject: Engraving essay questions and RFC
> To: lilypond-devel <address@hidden>

Hi Andrew,
     This looks great to me- I like seeing Lilypond compared to several
other editions of the same piece at the end.
     I just have one comment about the following:

> - Finale’s beamed stems are almost always too long when
> they extend
> off the staff.

Your benchmarking method currently takes the default output and compares it to
classic engravings.  But this means you're considering things
like the "Patterson Beams" plugin in Finale a tweak; yet it is an
automated tool that takes two or three mouse-clicks and is a standard part
of the engraving process for any serious Finale user.

Also, I really think it would be helpful to additionally show fully
tweaked versions of both the Finale and Lilypond scores, to give an idea
of the techniques/time necessary to get optimal output in both pieces of
software.  I think I can get a copyist to do this on the Finale
side if you're interested.

-Jonathan