Re: [tablatures] bends: pre-implementation issues

From: Marc Hohl
Subject: Re: [tablatures] bends: pre-implementation issues
Date: Mon, 04 Jan 2010 20:39:40 +0100

Carl Sorensen schrieb:

On 1/4/10 5:38 AM, "Marc Hohl" <address@hidden> wrote:

{[..]

so with bends, I have to add the commands to the parser. Is this correct?

Yes, you will need to add something to the parser, I believe.  It's because
bends need to be spanners (they connect notes, so they cover multiple
moments).
Ok.
If this is true, it yields to the second question. Would it be better to
create three new commands, like \bend, \releaseBend and \preBend, or to use
one indicator/command and let lilypond decide what to do?

I don't know enough about your plans to be able to answer this.
I attached an example to my answer to Han-Wens mail. In measures
1 to 6, the is a bend/release bend combination, measure 7 is bend up
only, measure 9 is a single pre bend, and measure 10 is a pre bend followed
by a release bend.

The usage code in ly files should be easily understandable, so
I think I'll vote for \preBend, \bend and \releaseBend, but I don't know if it is wise to define three parser commands if there is a possibility of using only one
(see below).
I see two possible solutions: either

e4 \bend f \releaseBend e2

or

e4 ^ f ^ e2

The "^" sign isn't mandatory, but it would make sense, as the output looks
similar in this case. The form

I'm sorry, but you can't use ^.  That's already used to place markups,
slurs, ties, etc. in an up direction.
Yes, of course. It was just meant as a simple abbreviation.
Perhaps \^ might do the job? I mean, if I can use a symbol, then
I think it would be best to use *one* symbol for the whole bend stuff,
but if I have to use a word as a command, then I'd prefer to
use three different commands.

On the other hand, if a bend is always between two notes, something like a
tie symbol may work.   You might consider ~^ to be a bend between two notes.
A bend will definitely be always between two notes.
You can do whatever you want in engravers.  I'm sure that you can make this
stuff work, but the exact mechanism isn't clear to me now, because I don't
have a picture in my mind of what you want the notation to look like.
Perhaps it is a bit clearer now (?), but David will post some more
sophisticated examples of what should be doable with bends, so
perhaps clarification will have to wait until then.

Thanks

Marc