Re: difference between `make' and `make all'?

From: Francisco Vila
Subject: Re: difference between `make' and `make all'?
Date: Tue, 19 Jan 2010 15:27:49 +0100

2010/1/19 John Mandereau <address@hidden>:
> Le lundi 18 janvier 2010 à 19:25 -0800, Mark Polesky a écrit :
>> Is there a difference between `make' and `make all'?
>
> No.  Where does the convention that all is the default target come from,
> by the way?  Is it a GNU standard?

After reading the manuals of GNU make, I am confused.  GNU software
should have 'all' as the default target, but 'make' alone processes
the first target in the Makefile as the default goal; this could be
other than 'all'.

http://www.gnu.org/software/make/manual/make.html#Standard-Targets

In other words, the default goal is 'all only if it is the first one,
and it should be by convention.

--
Francisco Vila. Badajoz (Spain)
www.paconet.org , www.csmbadajoz.com