Re: Docs links in pdf version

From: Graham Percival
Subject: Re: Docs links in pdf version
Date: Thu, 21 Jan 2010 21:20:51 +0000

On Thu, Jan 21, 2010 at 09:24:32PM +0100, Jean-Charles Malahieude wrote:
> Attending to a seminar about French typography, I've printed several
> pages of "notation.fr.pdf", and noticed something disturbing.

> -8<--------------------
> See also
>    Notation Reference: Section A.8.1 [Font], page 458, [New dynamic
> marks], page 90, [Manual
> repeat marks], page 107, Section 1.8.3 [Fonts], page 187.
>    Snippets: Section “Text” in Snippets.
>    Internals Reference: Section “TextScript” in Internals Reference.
>    Installed files: ‘scm/define-markup-commands.scm’.
> -8<--------------------

This is all expected.

> 1- I accept to see the "installed files" within simple quotes
>   since each of them might be considered as a /single/ word;
>   but why [Fonts] but “Text” and “TextScript” ?

Because [Fonts] is in the same manual, whereas "Text" (in
snippets) is in a different manual.  Texinfo doesn't know what
page Text will be in that manual.

> 2- Since the name of the manual is mentioned in front of the line,
>   would it be possible to avoid its multiple repeat, which become
>   annoying as soon as there are more links?

No.  At least, not without manually writing
  @ref{foo}, @ruser{bar}
which would be too annoying for the doc writers.

> I can be of no help about this, it's just to notice.

There's a number of problems with the pdf output, but nobody cares
sufficiently to look into it.  I have a list of another couple of
items, which I haven't even bothered to add to the issue tracker.

I'm currently trying to clear out all my "lilypond todo" lists
(I've found 3 text files so far, not counting all my paper lists),
so hopefully they'll migrate to the tracker in the next week or
so.  I'll be adding them as "postponed", though.