Re: Speed tips, again, for extremely large scores?

From: Trevor Bača
Subject: Re: Speed tips, again, for extremely large scores?
Date: Sat, 30 Jan 2010 16:08:43 -0500

Hi Graham,

Thanks for the quick response. Few more comments inline, below.

Trevor.

On Sat, Jan 30, 2010 at 12:59 PM, Graham Percival <address@hidden> wrote:
On Sat, Jan 30, 2010 at 5:12 PM, Trevor Bača <address@hidden> wrote:
> http://lilypond.org/doc/v2.12/Documentation/user/lilypond-learning/Avoiding-tweaks-with-slower-processing
>
> ... the language in the LM is somewhat ambiguous as to whether
> keep-inside-line settings speed things up or slow things down.
>
> QUESTION: I have to assume that keep-inside-line is relatively expensive and
> that the recommendation in the LM is to *NOT* use the keep-inside-line
> settings, yes?

keep-inside-line is expensive.  The recommendation is to leave it off
(the default) for faster processing.  However, I personally recommend
to turn it on when creating the final version, so that you don't need
to manually add \break commands to avoid text running off the
right-hand side of the page.

Very good. Thanks for the clarification.

James, please prepare a patch to clarify this issue.
I repeat my previous statement:
http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/lilypond-user/2009-08/msg00111.html

I'd add some swear-words for emphasis if I thought that would help.

> I guess the reason I'm writing in to ask the question is that I feel that
> something has changed for the worse since the early versions of Lily I used
> on the score in 2005

Since then, we've had
- skyline vertical placement  (you don't need to manually increase the
padding on text scripts!)
- better vertical placement of systems on a page (maybe not
particularly relevant to huge scores when you can only fit one system
per page anyway)

Both of those are expensive.

Ah, good point, on both counts.

The score in question contains no scripts. Hmm ... isn't there a way to turn off skyline vertical placement?

> (As a postscript, I also have #(define page-breaking ly:minimal-breaking)
> set in the score because I set all breaks and vertical spacing by hand. I
> know that certain changes that Joe's made to dramatically improve vertical
> spacing cane be time consumptive in some cases, so maybe this is a
> precaution to ward against that. However, the setting produces no obvious
> increase in performance, which makes me think that vertical spacing has
> nothing to do with the performance difference I'm experiencing.)

Hmm.  1) are you sure that minimal-breaking is the lowest-CPU option?
Isn't there a naive-breaking, or even a non-automatic-breaking ?  If
you've manually set *all* breaks and pageBreaks, then theoretically
that would save a **ton** of CPU resources.

Actually, you're right: I'm not certain. I was assuming that minimal would be the least CPU-intensive option, but I may be wrong. (I've added Joe to the thread in the hopes that he might weigh in.)

2) are you certain that you've defined this in the right place?  I'm
not suggesting that *I* know the right place, but I'm not certain if
you're supposed to add this to the top of your file, or inside the
first \book{} block, or put it in every \score block, or what.

I've currently got the minimal page-breaking setting defined in the top-level \paper-block in the file (which is also the only \paper-block in the file). I'm 82.63% certain that that's the correct place.

Trevor.

--
Trevor Bača
address@hidden