Re: Why don't we get rid of \chordmode?

From: Graham Percival
Subject: Re: Why don't we get rid of \chordmode?
Date: Thu, 29 Apr 2010 22:35:28 +0100

On Thu, Apr 29, 2010 at 05:27:36PM -0400, Kieren MacMillan wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> > It's not obvious to me whether
> >  c\chord #'(1 7)
> > should produce "c b" or "c bes".  Musically speaking, I'd look at
>
> Or... we could use dodecaphonic intervals, i.e.
>
>   c\chord #'(1 11) is a minor seventh
>   c\chord #'(1 12) is a major seventh
>
> Of course, none of these ideas support systems with
> other-than-12-tones-per-octave…  =(

Curse you!  I got really excited when I read the first line, since
it seemed like a perfect solution.  Then you go and wreck
everything.

You broke my heart.  *sniff* *sniff*    I'm going to go listen to
country music now.  Screw you classical people with your math.
(or "maths" as they say here)

Cheers,
- Graham "my cat left me for a guy with a bigger hard drive"

PS:  we could use a property to indicate the divisions of the
octave.  Also, most of lilypond already assumes 12 notes per
octave, so this wouldn't be a huge (additional) limitation.

OTOH, most people writing chords just think/say "add a 7th", not
"add an 11th".  Or rather, when they say "add an 11th", they're
not talking about semitones.