Flex patterns with " in them

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Flex patterns with " in them
Date: Sat, 01 May 2010 08:57:00 +0200

Incidentally, I already happened to have one of those in my patch series
where the consequences were all too bad.

Here goes: flex/bison files need, for lack of better alternatives, to be
edited in c++-mode in Emacs.

Unmatched double quotes throw all syntactic entities off terribly.  So
I'd tend to just double those quotes where they occur in a pattern like

since duplication in a character set is harmless.  An uglier alternative
would be

          { ...

Is the former ok with people?  It does no harm, and is not likely to get
confused with anything.  And it makes handling those files in c++-mode
smoother in Emacs and likely in other editors as well.