Re: Overriding tagline in a custom init file?

From: -Eluze
Subject: Re: Overriding tagline in a custom init file?
Date: Sat, 1 May 2010 13:48:30 -0700 (PDT)

Reinhold Kainhofer wrote:

>> this raises the question why there is no such option, enabling to setup a
>> user specific environment or style without having to manipulate this
>> crucial file (and to adapt it for each new version).
>
> Absolutely! It would also make lilypond-book much simpler, since currently
> the
> book preamble is added to all included .ly files. This looks awful if you
> click on an image to get the LilyPond file!
>
> AFAICS, "all" that needs to be done is to
>   -) add a new option to lilypond e.g. -duser-init=settings.ily
>   -) in init.ly include that file (if the option is given) right before
>     \maininput
>
> In principle, all steps are easy (adding a command line option, checking
> for
> existence of command line option, including a file).
> The problem is the combination:
>
> The \include has to be done conditionally, and the check for the command
> line
> option has to be done in Scheme. This means that the include also has to
> be
> done in Scheme... Unfortunately, the processing of \include in a lilypond
> file
> is already done by the parser, so I don't know of any way to properly
> include
> a file using Scheme...
>
> I have tried:
>

> #(if (ly:get-option 'user-init)
>   (display (format "\\include \"~a\"" (ly:get-option 'user-init)))
>   (ly:parser-parse-string parser
>     (format "\\include \"~a\"" (ly:get-option 'user-init))))
> \maininput
>
> But this does not seem to have any effect: It includes the file (since a
> syntax error in the included file causes lilypond to fail), but the
> settings
> (header block) are not used...
>
> Cheers,
> Reionhold

thanks for these clarifying statements!

so i conclude we will not get such an option until these problems are
solved.

i have now now added an option user-init=… in my little batch program which
then \includes that file.
(btw this seems more efficient than to copy the files into a temporary one
since if errors occur, the log points to the real file(s). )