Re: Aligning single systems?

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: Aligning single systems?
Date: Fri, 07 May 2010 21:53:54 +0200

"Boris Shingarov" <address@hidden> writes:

> Hi David,
>
>> for theoretical work it often is necessary to write several short
>  > systems in one line, interspersed with text.
> This is exactly what we are doing.
>
>  > I don't manage to have
>  > a) new systems continue aligned to the previous system in a line, like
>  > when doing
>  > \line { \score { ... \layout {} } some text \score { ... \layout {} } }
>
> I am not sure I understand what the problem is. Do you mean having
> several embedded scores on one line?  Like this:
> \markuplines {
>   \justified-lines {
>     some text
>     \score { ... \layout {} }
>     more text
>     \score { ... \layout {} }
>   }
> }
> What is the functionality missing from this?

Make it concrete:

\markuplines {
  \justified-lines {
    some text
    \score { e''' \layout {} }
    more text
    \score { c \layout {} }
  }
}

Nothing lines up.  Text is in the sky, music systems are skewed.

>> b) to have interspersed text appear at useful height with relation to
>  > the surrounding score.
> We were able to obtain nice looking results via a combination of
> adjustments to baseline-skip, minimum-Y-extent, staff-space, and other
> similar standard settings, I can't remember off the top of my head
> what they were, but the idea is, achieving it did not require any
> custom programming work, nor even Scheme scripting.

Sounds not quite easy.  Something like that should be easy, or scores in
markup become hard to use.

>   What I am struggling with right now, is the crappy vertical spacing
> of lines that results.

>  > Would it be possible to have some Staff property, say,
>  > baseline-height that specifies a Staff line to be aligned with the
>  > baseline of surrounding constructs?
>
> Hmm... so it would be relative to what, the bottom of the bounding
> rectangle?  Or I think more usefully, to the middle staff line?

A specified staff line at specified height might be nice, like bottom
staff line at baseline, or middle staff line at x-height.  But since
staff lines have a fixed distance, maybe just one spec (likely middle
staff line) would be useful enough.

> so one could say: "the middle lines of all embedded staves are always
> 1mm above the baseline of the text".  That would be way cool, and I
> don't see why it would be too hard to implement.

If we had something like that, one would not need to meddle with
paddings and the resulting spurious spacings.