Re: Wrong architecture on OSX

From: Carl Sorensen
Subject: Re: Wrong architecture on OSX
Date: Tue, 21 Sep 2010 17:21:50 -0600

On 9/21/10 4:51 PM, "Dénes Harmath" <address@hidden> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> when trying to build LilyPond on OSX 10.6.4, I get the following error:
>
> /Users/thsoft/Development/lilypond/scripts/build/out/help2man
> out/lilypond-invoke-editor > out/lilypond-invoke-editor.1
> Traceback (most recent call last):
>   File "out/midi2ly", line 63, in <module>
>     import midi
> ImportError: dlopen(/Users/thsoft/Development/lilypond/python/out/midi.so, 2):
> no suitable image found.  Did find:
>         /Users/thsoft/Development/lilypond/python/out/midi.so: mach-o, but
> wrong
>         architecture
> help2man: can't get `--help' info from out/midi2ly
> make[1]: *** [out/midi2ly.1] Error 1
> make: *** [all] Error 2
>

> This bug was already detected
> (http://www.mail-archive.com/address@hidden/msg16187.html) but
> not solved. Does anyone know a solution?

I'm sorry, I don't.  I'm using 10.5, and compiling just fine using the
instructions in the Contributors' Guide, section 3.7, which are largely due
to Nicolas Sceaux.

In the thread you reference above, Hans indicated that you needed to include
-arch i386.  Have you done that when you run configure?

I don't think that Hans's concern about the .so being copied from GNU/Linux
is valid; I get a new version of midi.so whenever I build LilyPond.

I wish I had more assistance to offer.  Building LilyPond has practically
reverted to a Linux-only process.  The current recommendation is to use
LilyBuntu, but that's not a solution for getting a Mac version.  If you
follow that practice, you need to use LilyBuntu to run the current git, and
then you can have the latest devel version on your OSX.

If there's anybody out there who is successfully compiling on 10.6, please
let us know!

Thanks,

Carl