Re: vertical spacing confusion

From: Mark Polesky
Subject: Re: vertical spacing confusion
Date: Wed, 29 Sep 2010 23:32:15 -0700 (PDT)

I must not be understanding this correctly, because it seems
to me that 'minimum-distance is redundant.  If
'minimum-distance is less than 'space, it has no effect,
since IIUC 'space is only ever *stretched*, and never
*compressed*.  So the value of 'space already acts as a kind
of "minimum-distance".  And if 'minimum-distance is greater
than 'space, well then why not just set 'space to the
greater value, since 'space should never be less than the
'minimum-distance.  Consequently, why not just get rid of
'minimum-distance?  What am I missing?

If, in the unlikely event that I'm actually correct here,
and 'space and 'minimum-distance are somehow the same thing,
I think 'minimum-distance is a better name than 'space.  But
I'm sure I'm missing something.  Let me know.

Thanks.
- Mark