Re: NR 2.1 suggestions

From: Trevor Daniels
Subject: Re: NR 2.1 suggestions
Date: Wed, 20 Oct 2010 18:20:38 +0100

James

Many thanks for your comments. At first glance they all seem pertinent. I'll have a look at fixing them up tomorrow.

I'm actually dealing with TODOs dotted around the file in no particular order, so there is no high-water mark for the changes I've made. You could read and comment down to 2.1.7.

Trevor

----- Original Message ----- From: "James Bailey" <address@hidden> To: <address@hidden>; "Trevor Daniels" <address@hidden>
Sent: Wednesday, October 20, 2010 5:55 PM
Subject: NR 2.1 suggestions

These are just some things that I noticed.

2.1.1 Entering Lyrics.

Lyrics are entered in a special input mode, which can be introduced by the keyword \lyricmode, or by using \addlyrics or \lyricsto. In this mode… Which mode? This has bugged me for a while, and since changes are being made, can I request one here? As far as I understand, it's a statement referring to the generic mode used for entering lyrics, but because a keyword and two other things which haven't yet been defined have been mentioned in the same sentence as this mode for entering lyrics, it would be very helpful for a clearer sentence, i.e., Lyrics are entered in a special input mode, which can be introduced by the keyword \lyricmode, or by using \addlyrics or \lyricsto. In this special input mode…

Punctuation, lyrics with accented characters, characters from non-English languages, or special characters (such as the heart symbol or slanted quotes), may simply be inserted directly into the input file, providing it is saved with UTF-8 encoding.

Can I request/suggest an example that more clearly shows this? Maybe »Schad‘ um das so schö -- ne grü -- ne Band« (Slightly adapted from Die Schöne Müllerin to fit the notes already in the example.)

The first stanza is not aligned with the notes because the durations were not specified, and the default value of 2 is used for each word. Doesn't this use the value of 2 because that was the last explicit value used? If the preceeding note has a value of 4, then it uses the value 4.
\version "2.13.36"
<<
 \new Voice = "one" \relative c'' {
   \time 2/4
   c4 b8. a16 g4. f8 e4 d r4 c
 }

% uses previous explicit duration 4;
 \new Lyrics \lyricmode {
   Joy to the earth!
 }

% explicit durations, set to a different rhythm
 \new Lyrics \lyricmode {
   Life4 is love,2. live4 life.2
 }

Why is "Keeping Contexts Alive" a "see also" for "Manual syllable durations"? Nothing regarding why this is necessary is mentioned there. If anything, it should be in the section on "Automatic syllable durations"

Thanks for reading, and I really like a lot of the changes. For context, up to which section is the rewrite finished?