Re: Please document new part-combine features

From: Graham Percival
Subject: Re: Please document new part-combine features
Date: Sat, 5 Feb 2011 14:42:38 +0000

On Sat, Feb 05, 2011 at 02:31:30PM +0000, Graham Percival wrote:
> It is literally inefficient to have those experts doing
> mundane doc tasks.

Addendum in case anybody misunderstands: let's assume that
Reinhold has 30 minutes of spare time to work on lilypond.  That's
enough time to:
- write docs for this part-combine feature.
or
- create a new draft of his patch for "keeping state in
  part_combine_engraver", which sounds like a powerful new
  feature for \partcombine
or
- review Joe's "optimizations for pure-hight approximations",
  which appears to cut the compile time of large scores by 50%.

Now, out of those options, almost anybody can write docs.  It can
certainly be done if we combine Xavier writing initial stuff,
Colin doing some cleanup, and then James reviewing the patch on
Reitveld.  But none of those people (AFAIK) can provide a serious
review of Joe's "cut compile time in half" patch.

So the most efficient use of our meager resources is to encourage
experts like Reinhold to work on programming tasks, and to keep a
"vaccum" of minor doc tasks for helpful users to tackle.