RE: Documentation request

From: James Lowe
Subject: RE: Documentation request
Date: Tue, 15 Feb 2011 13:00:59 +0000

Phil

)-----Original Message-----
)From: address@hidden
)[mailto:address@hidden On
)Behalf Of Phil Holmes
)Sent: 15 February 2011 12:47
)To: address@hidden
)Subject: Documentation request
)
)The NR, 1.2.6 Special rhythmic concerns, Grace notes, says:
)
)"A \grace music expression will introduce special typesetting settings, for
)example, to produce smaller type, and set directions. Hence, when
)introducing layout tweaks to override the special settings, they should be
)placed inside the grace expression."
)
)I was setting some Gondoliers music today, and this bit me.  Grace notes
)also change the way voices are laid out, with the result that, where I
)wanted voiceOne to point up and voiceTwo to point down, the opposite
)happened with the result of some pretty much overlapping stems.  I was
)wondering whether it should be reported as a bug when I looked for and
)found
)http://code.google.com/p/lilypond/issues/detail?id=667 - "\voiceOne
)malfunction when used immediately before \grace".  This has the
)workaround "If there is any note/rest between voiceOne and the grace
)command, everything works:"
)
)This works sensationally as a workaround: see the attached image
)generated from the code below.  Could I request we add this to the NR?
)
----

So are you saying..

Is the bug you have or a new one, either way (regardless of the workaround). We
don't add known bugs to the main documentation, I'm not sure if there is a
specific policy on 'bug workarounds' vs
'this-is-how-it-works-so-you-have-to-do-XYZ', we might be able to add an
@knownissues but I'll let Graham decide.

If we do go with it, could we have an appropriate tracker issue for the doc
enhancement because we do lose an awful lot of useful information in email
threads.

james