Re: 13.51 regtests

From: Graham Percival
Subject: Re: 13.51 regtests
Date: Thu, 24 Feb 2011 06:25:12 +0000

On Wed, Feb 23, 2011 at 05:18:05PM -0000, Phil Holmes wrote:
> TBH, there are so many changes on the official regtest page
> (http://lilypond.org/test/v2.13.51-1/compare-v2.13.50-1/index.html)
> that it's not feasible to do a good comparison.

I count approximately 150 changed regtests -- and don't forget
that they're ordered by "amount of change" (using a vague measure
of this).

I mean, jump to the bottom of the page.  There's basically nothing
interesting about ottava.ly, so I'd check that off in 2 seconds.
The top item on the page (phrase-slur-dash.ly) will take longer to
compare.  It's now spaced on two lines, but if you compare it
bar-by-bar, with say 2 seconds for each bar, then it'll be around
15 seconds to verify.

Every so often there'll be a more difficult one, of course...
let's say that the average time is 20 seconds per regtest.  That
gives 50 minutes for the entire comparison.

That's too much to expect you to do, but if the bug squad was
functioning smoothly and everybody had a few minutes free, we
could divide it up between them.  Of course, there's always an
overhead to any organizational thing, so maybe that's not the best
way to function.  Maybe recruit somebody on -user to do a one-time
1-hour task?  Call it 10 minutes to writing a recruiting email
plus giving them a basic overview of how to look at the
comparison?

Of course, it would be easier if the memory info was on a
different page, but that's not going to change in the very near
future.

(I think that 20 seconds per regtests is a overly generous
estimate... I mean, jumping about 10% down the page, look at
spacing-section.ly.  There's only a very slight amount of green in
the right-hand image, and the whole thing is pretty simple, so I
personally would spend less than a second glancing at that image
before moving on.)