Re: a list of manually fine-tuned beaming exceptions?

From: Trevor Daniels
Subject: Re: a list of manually fine-tuned beaming exceptions?
Date: Sun, 6 Mar 2011 09:43:27 -0000

<address@hidden> wrote Saturday, March 05, 2011 11:05 PM

On Mar 5, 2011, at 17:33, Janek Warchoł <address@hidden> wrote:

2011/3/5 Trevor Daniels <address@hidden>:
When I suggested investigating the automatic beaming I didn't
mean messing with the code. But there are a number of parameters in the #'details property of beam which might be worth exploring.

Thanks for information! Yes, this should be investigated.
However, i'm afraid that when i change some well-established
parameters, it may cause unwanted side-effects in other beams. And the worst part is that i have no means to check this: it would require a gigantic proof-sheet consisting of thousands of different beams to
check that some parameter combination works optimal.
That's why i suggested a temporary solution. It could also serve as a
reference beaming database later.

Having recently OD'd on beam quanting, I am convinced that the right cocktails of penalties and demerits can hit all of the targets that would potentially be on this list. There's nothing wrong with keeping a list like this in the form of a regtest with lots of beams (I think it's a great idea!),

Excellent idea!

but I think the goal should be to modify the quanting such that it attains the result you want while not breaking other regtests. I know this is a tall order and means more work, but it seems like a better use of contributor
time and a more sustainable solution.

~Mike
Trevor