Linux help please?

From: Phil Holmes
Subject: Linux help please?
Date: Sun, 13 Mar 2011 14:43:54 -0000

Nothing to do with LilyPond, but don't know where else to ask.

I've been creating an Ubuntu VM to install an open-source telephone exchange, Asterix. All going well until I had to compile a package called Dahdi. This failed on an include, and so I was trying to edit the source file. It's owned by root and so logged in as phil, it was read-only. I thought that rather than learn the syntax of chmod, I'd just briefly log in as root. I clicked the "log-off" button and switched user to root. All the desktop furniture disappeared - no task bar, no Places, no logout, nothing. So I shut down using the VM command and restarted. Same. I'm shown as logged in as phil, but I can't do anything at all. Anyone any ideas of how to get my desktop back?

--
Phil Holmes
Bug Squad