Re: feedback: general thoughts about using LilyPond

From: Andrew Hawryluk
Subject: Re: feedback: general thoughts about using LilyPond
Date: Sun, 13 Mar 2011 14:10:04 -0600

2011/3/13 Janek Warchoł <address@hidden>:
> 3. I have serious troubles with vertical layout of choral scores containing
> anything besides notes. Slurs, and especially dynamics, tend to make systems
> very high; i struggle to achieve 4 systems-per-page layout, which is always
> certainly possible, but tweaking needed to achieve this is always
> hit-and-miss. It looks like Lily tries *too* hard to avoid objects being too
> close and colliding; this leads to problems.

Some of this is caused by the rectangular skylines that LilyPond uses
around slurs:

\version "2.13.54"
#(ly:set-option 'debug-skylines #t)
\relative c' { << {e4( f g c b1)} \\ {c,4( d e f g1)\p} >>}

(A longer slur would produce a more extreme example.) Segmenting the
skyline into a number of tangent lines would improve things (even two
or three would help), but that's pretty far beyond my skills right
now.

- Just a tadpole, a.k.a. Andrew