shortened flags affair, part 6 - shortened stem lengths, unbeamed vs bea

From: Janek Warchoł
Subject: shortened flags affair, part 6 - shortened stem lengths, unbeamed vs beamed.
Date: Mon, 14 Mar 2011 11:56:30 +0100

Hi,

as Han-Wen said before, when discussing stem lengths we should pay
attention to how beamed stems compare to flagged stems (flagged stems
should be a bit longer than beamed stems). Therefore it would be good
to change these values simultaneously. However, my research shows that
beaming algorithm (or parameter values) needs some general changes,
perhaps significant, and it would be better done separately. I'm
already collecting samples for that work.
So i suggest to decide now how long flagged shortened stems should be,
and adjust beamed lengths in the future to match flagged lengths.

The only change i propose in this area is making shortened 8th stem
shorter by 0.25 ss. In my opinion shorter stem fits 8th notes better,
and this will solve attached "problem.png".
Proof sheet in attachment.
(of course flags will look better when the final part of the affair
will be applied)

cheers,
Janek