Re: Map voices to channels in MIDI output

From: Keith OHara
Subject: Re: Map voices to channels in MIDI output
Date: Mon, 14 Mar 2011 13:50:24 -0700

On Mon, 14 Mar 2011 02:14:14 -0700, Jan Nieuwenhuizen <address@hidden> wrote:

Keith OHara schreef op zo 13-03-2011 om 17:05 [-0700]:

Sensible, but this leaves a partially-finished major change in the
branch that Graham just tagged as 2.14 release candidate.

What's partial about the change?

    Nothing critical.

Dynamics are newly implemented as note-on-velocity,
but the old implementation as channel-volume is still there, causing
instruments of the same type to partially influence each others' loudness.

Voices potentially get their own Channel, or even their own Port, thus
conceptually have their own midiInstrument, etc., but these remain properties
of Staff.  Fortunately, we can still move Staff_performer from \Staff to \Voice
and set Voice.midiInstrument as in
http://lilypond.org/doc/v2.12/Documentation/user/lilypond/Creating-MIDI-files#Creating-MIDI-files

Midi tracks (from a Staff with midiInstrument) sometimes contain a program
change event, sometimes not, depending on the path taken through
Staff_performer::acknowledge_audio_element() on the way to new_audio_staff().
Temporary voices create tracks without the program change.  If we use the new
midiChannelMapping=#'voice, the notes in such voices sound as default piano.

(Unfortunately for me, the player I formerly used, NotationPlayer, gets
confused by Tracks with no program change containing notes directed to a
Channel that had an earlier program change.)

    Nothing critical.

Do you want the new MIDI output in 2.14

Yes.

Why?