Re: Clarification for \null in \header markups

From: Mark Polesky
Subject: Re: Clarification for \null in \header markups
Date: Thu, 31 Mar 2011 23:03:54 -0700 (PDT)

James Lowe wrote:
> I am making a patch for some updates for Titles and
> Headers and a para in the doc currently says:
>
> "Text fields left unset in a \header block are replaced
> with \null markups so space is not wasted...."
>
> Then there is an @c from Mark Polesky asking if this is
> true?
>
> I wondered if anyone knew or if it even matters that we
> state this or not.

James,

Yikes, my last post was 100 days ago!  Anyway, I'm just
writing to clarify for everyone else, you must be referring
to this unpublished patch of mine from December:
http://codereview.appspot.com/3667041
The text and @c you mention do not appear in the savannah
repo.

I'm chiming in here mostly because I put a lot of work into
that patch, and the consensus was that the content was good
but the format wasn't quite right.  I subsequently got too
busy to fix it, but there are some good parts there that (I
think) should clear up some confusing things for a lot of
users.

So if someone (you or anyone else) has time and interest, it
would be *really* nice to see the useful bits incorporated
(maybe with a little attribution in the commit comments),
presumably in a better format.

- Mark

p.s. I'm still curious to know if the \null thing is right!