Re: Ignore accidentals of the beam itself when guessing an initial confi

From: address@hidden
Subject: Re: Ignore accidentals of the beam itself when guessing an initial configuration. (issue4450052)
Date: Sat, 23 Apr 2011 20:45:54 -0400

On Apr 23, 2011, at 8:33 PM, Han-Wen Nienhuys wrote:

>>> The problem is that the initial guess for the configuration has two
>>> choices: over all 'big' collisions, and below the big collisions.  The
>>> separate high note adds a collision that is impossible to pass from
>>> the top, so we revert to the bottom.
>>>

>> Even with a small high note (see above) the problem kicks in.
>> If you want, I have some time next week to put in printf's and see what the
>> exact numerical cutoff is for picking the lower solution.  My first
>> commitment is to have a look @ Janek's flag code, and then I can look over
>> the beam code.
>
> The real solution is to work with a list of intervals rather than just
> an up/down choice.  I think the simple quick solution is to disable
> stems for beam collisions for now.

If you're confident that the problem will only be caused by stems and not
clefs, time signatures, etc., I'll do it.  Otherwise, I think it'd be worth it
to work on the list-of-intervals solution.  Otherwise, beams won't avoid grace
note stems, which is the whole reason the stem code was added.

Cheers,
MS