Re: Where to merge Translations now?

From: Francisco Vila
Subject: Re: Where to merge Translations now?
Date: Wed, 4 May 2011 12:09:09 +0200

2011/5/3 Carl Sorensen <address@hidden>:
> On 5/3/11 5:45 AM, "Francisco Vila" <address@hidden> wrote:
>
>> 2011/5/3 Francisco Vila <address@hidden>:
>>> Hello, I have noticed that master is now 2.15; we on the
>>> lilypond/translation branch have unmerged work and more is to come.
>>> If master is now 2.15, what's the official mechanism planned for
>>> incorporate latest translations to the upcoming 2.12 stable?
>>
>> A possible solution is that I merge into master(2.15) as usual but I
>> make a list of commits for Carl to cherry-pick them onto 2.14 . Sounds
>> right?
>
> I would recommend that translators work from stable/2.14, rather than from
> master.
>
> I'm perfectly willing to have translation patches pushed to stable/2.14.

Thanks.  Previously I need to know exactly which commit is to be
considered the first one to be backported.

We have a stable/2.14 branch which also contains 2.13.60 and 2.13.61 tags.

Then, we have master and there is lilypond/translation branch on which
'master' has been frequently merged.  The other way, ie merge
translation onto master is not clearly marked as such, maybe because
of my usual order of commands.  I sometimes merge master onto
lilypond/translation, check translations status, then checkout master
and merge lilypond/translation onto it. This sequence produces no
merge commit in master, other than previous merge master onto
lilypond/translation which comes from lilypond/translation branch.

Sorry if it sounds confusing.  To summarize, it is difficult to know
which exact translations come before or after the fork.  IMHO a good
thing would have been to fork a new stable/2.14/translation branch
from stable/2.14 at the same time stable/2.14 was created; that way we
would know where we are.

Could we still create a stable translation branch and work on it? I
can not work on a single branch (our current lilypond/translation) as
if it were two branches (stable translation + 2.15 translation), and
that's the current landscape.

I could take care of porting commits from the current
lilypond/translation to stable/2.14/translation for my own.  Any bug
in this branch could never be considered a critical regression,
therefore it would not block stable releases, so this kind of
backporting is not very critical.

--
Francisco Vila. Badajoz (Spain)
www.paconet.org , www.csmbadajoz.com