Re: guile 2.0 and ghostscript 9.0

From: Patrick McCarty
Subject: Re: guile 2.0 and ghostscript 9.0
Date: Mon, 6 Jun 2011 18:32:59 -0700

On Mon, Jun 6, 2011 at 8:15 AM, Graham Percival
<address@hidden> wrote:
> What's the plan+status of these?
>
> I'd like to have the first release candidate for 2.16 in 3-4
> months.  If we think that we can sort out any problems with those
> dependencies... or any other build dependencies, for that
> matter... then let's start merging them.  If not, they can wait
> until 2.17.

I can only speak for the status of LilyPond + Guile 2 on LilyPond's side.

- Issues in the Scheme code base.  This is mostly backwards-compat
work dealing with macro usage.

- Build system support for compiling and installing Guile 2 .go (Guile
Object) files; without using the .go cache, Guile 2 is *very* slow...

- Issues with garbage collection.  LilyPond may not be using smobs
correctly to work well with Guile 2, since memory usage is very high,
especially when processing multiple files in sequence.

- The decision of whether we want to support both Guile 1.8 and 2.0
moving forward.  At this point, it still looks possible, but I haven't
done a full-scale investigation of the previous issues yet.  I've done
preliminary work (in dev/patrick), but none of it is ready to be
merged.

Thanks,
Patrick