Re: Git not working

From: Graham Percival
Subject: Re: Git not working
Date: Tue, 7 Jun 2011 12:24:32 +0100

On Mon, Jun 06, 2011 at 06:39:18PM +0100, Phil Holmes wrote:
> I've clicked the "Update Source" on a number of occasions, and
> generally the script just sits there with no activity.

Yes, I see this too.  I think it's

> and then a load of tags added and then an error:
>
> * [new tag]         release/2.9.7 -> release/2.9.7
> * [new tag]         tarball/HEAD -> tarball/HEAD
> * [new tag]         tarball/start -> tarball/start
> |git --git-dir=/home/phil/lilypond-git/.git rebase origin/master 2>@1
> fatal: bad revision 'HEAD'
> fatal: Needed a single revision

Sadly, I can't even get far enough to see this error.  :(

It would be really great if a git person could look into this
stuff.  An inability to reliably get the source code is extremely
problematic for an open-source project.  If for some reason it's
impossible to use
  git fetch --depth 1
reliably on savannah, then I think we should drop that and go with
git clone, if that works more reliably.

At this stage, I'll settle for 50% reliability... i.e. "if it
doesn't do anything within 5 minutes, then cancel it and try it
again, and it will probably work the second or third time".