Re: Silent/quiet builds

From: Graham Percival
Subject: Re: Silent/quiet builds
Date: Thu, 16 Jun 2011 17:18:31 +0100

On Wed, Jun 15, 2011 at 06:32:30PM +0100, Phil Holmes wrote:
> In the CG:
> http://lilypond.org/doc/v2.13/Documentation/contributor/useful-make-variables
> we already have a way of quietening the output.

huh, I didn't know that.

> It seems wrong not to use this
> facility more - is it used?

Dunno.  It's certainly not used by me.  :)

> Should most of my "make quieter" changes
> be contingent on this variable being set?

I don't think so.  The ultimate goal of the "make quieter" stuff
is to allow us to see important warnings+errors when they happen.
Cleaning up unimportant/easy-to-fix warnings is great for that, as
is cleaning up routine messages.  (but I still don't like the idea
of running make -s because then when an error occurs, you might
not know offhand exactly where the error occurred -- seeing the
acutal command-line messages is a great "first step" in narrowing
down the problem)

> (I assume its usage is make doc QUIET_BUILD=1)

At this point you know more about make than I do, so I'm happy to
trust your assumption.

Cheers