Re: Sets spanner length as a spanner property. (issue4641085)

From: Han-Wen Nienhuys
Subject: Re: Sets spanner length as a spanner property. (issue4641085)
Date: Thu, 30 Jun 2011 12:20:23 -0300

On Thu, Jun 30, 2011 at 11:21 AM,  <address@hidden> wrote:
> Reviewers: ,
>
> Message:
> Hey all,
>
> This patch simplifies a lot of code duping I'm doing to get spanner
> lengths in various scheme functions.  Please lemme know if it's OK!

Why is length not computed as a callback?  You should avoid
set_property() as much as possible, since the order in which the code
calling set_property() is not defined. Hence, readers of the length
property cannot be sure that it has been set.

What calculations are simplified?  Can you include examples?  I am
sure that the lilypond code uses spanner length in a ~100 places or
so.  If you are starting to use a property for length, your code
should have a 100 places changed.

I think you scheme code will be easier to follow if you just define a
function that computes the length, if given a spanner.