Re: GOP-PROP 4: lessons from 2.14

From: Graham Percival
Subject: Re: GOP-PROP 4: lessons from 2.14
Date: Fri, 1 Jul 2011 13:22:35 +0100

On Fri, Jul 01, 2011 at 01:09:57PM +0100, Graham Percival wrote:
> A challenge for somebody else (because Carl has done enough):
> produce 1 or 2 graphs that visualize this.  Note that producing a
> good graph is not just a matter of picking two columns and
> clicking through a wizard in excel; I'd budget at least 30 minutes
> on each graph.

PS  I'd recommend doing this in gnuplot or pgfplots or some other
scripting graph language:
1) if we have a great way to visualize the bug history, it could
be useful for other releases
2) if might be useful for other projects
3) we might want to add extra overlays (e.g. yellow vertical lines
for important dates like release candidates or when Phil started
checking regtests?)
4) it might be good to subtly change the color of each line.
Like, shifting from light green-blue to light blue-green over the
course of all 148 lines?  or maybe adding a bit of red to each
line, corresponding to the number of days it took to close that
bug?

Scientific visualization is an art unto itself; I could easily
spend 3 hours just to produce one really good graph.  Exactly what
to plot, what shades of colors to use, etc etc... fun times!  :)