RE: lilymidi: Add --pretty switch to lilymidi.py to display midi in huma

From: James Lowe
Subject: RE: lilymidi: Add --pretty switch to lilymidi.py to display midi in human-readable form (with --dump) (issue4628078)
Date: Sun, 3 Jul 2011 10:20:41 +0000

Hello,
From: address@hidden address@hidden on behalf of Colin Campbell address@hidden
Sent: 03 July 2011 05:06
To: address@hidden
Subject: Re: lilymidi: Add --pretty switch to lilymidi.py to display midi
in      human-readable form (with --dump) (issue4628078)

On 11-07-02 05:52 PM, address@hidden wrote:
> On 2011/07/02 23:47:32, J_lowe wrote:
>> Can't see a tracker for this, and not sure a reg test is appropriate
> :) but did
>> one all the same..no problems.
>
> I don't think we need a tracker for this particular patch; I think
> Reinhold should push it whenever he thinks it's ready, since this isn't
> going to disrupt anything else.
>

> http://codereview.appspot.com/4628078/

I'd suggest we *do* create a tracker item, even if Reinhold pushes
immediately, so that we can work toward one source "of record" for all
changes and enhancements.  As it is, there are a an unknown number of
things added or done to lilypond, leaving no trace except in git blame
or its relatives.  Using the tracker, while it may seem overkill to the
senior devs, at least gives us a searchable database which can be tied,
if only manually, to Reitveld.  If the outstanding request on Reitveld,
to allow searching by project, were to be implemented, life could be
different.  If we had our own instance of Reitveld, we could de jure
limit it to lilypond. If wishes were fishes . . .  Long one short, by
linking every Reitveld patch to a tracker item, we have an easily
searchable list of all our activities, with somewhat less likelihood of
duplicated effort and much better review of agbe and status.

------------------

Yes I agree*

Because we have a 'bug squad' (and people like myself who do some reg testing
and so touch both Rietveld and Tracker) we can add tracker items for the devs
so that the they don't have to waste too much time worrying about this, all
that I say we ask is that if a patch is up on rietveld or submitted via email
that that person states there is/is not a tracker for this - and if they don't
know then state that (but I cannot see that happening much).

That way everyone at least knows where we 'stand' sometimes there is doubt and
I have 'wasted' (although I am educating myself each time I have to go scan the
tracker list - turning the frown upside down) seeing if this is an open issue
or not, whereas if a dev says 'here's a patch for XYZ - no tracker item -
please review' there is half a chance it will then get added by one of the Bug
squadders or persons like me and we can worry about making sure we cross
reference. We all know that 9 times out of 10 it is usually never needed, but
on that one occasion where a patch is abandoned or left to rot, it really helps
if we have a cross reference.

James

* I would have added a tracker myself but I just wasn't sure if there was one
or know the midi code/problem well enough to 'guess' if one other differently
titled tracker issue was to do with this.