Re: 'git log --shortstat' hangs

From: Francisco Vila
Subject: Re: 'git log --shortstat' hangs
Date: Wed, 6 Jul 2011 01:25:15 +0200

2011/7/5 James Lowe <address@hidden>:
> Francisco,
> Indeed git log | wc -l takes a few seconds but git log --shortstat | wc -l
> does complete but takes more time. However I am using 6 CPUs on this server
> and I noticed that one CPU was constantly at 100% all the others hovered
> about 4% while I did this.
>
> I expect on lesser machines it will also complete.
>
> Here is my output with date
>
> address@hidden:~/lilypond-git$ date ; git log --shortstat | wc -l ; date
> Tue Jul  5 22:18:17 BST 2011
> 222369
> Tue Jul  5 22:18:53 BST 2011
> address@hidden:~/lilypond-git$
> address@hidden:~/lilypond-git$ date ; git log | wc -l ; dateTue Jul  5
> 22:19:03 BST 2011
> 182473
> Tue Jul  5 22:19:04 BST 2011
> address@hidden:~/lilypond-git$
> HTH
> James

Thank you very much. On my dual core machine it's been running for
hours now, and still.  That involves four to six magnitude orders
between both cases. (??)

Sorry for the noise.  I need it for another project also in Git,
namely the RockBox player firmware. They have just moved from svn.
--
Francisco Vila. Badajoz (Spain)
www.paconet.org , www.csmbadajoz.com