Re: 2.14.2 release

From: Carl Sorensen
Subject: Re: 2.14.2 release
Date: Thu, 14 Jul 2011 08:51:18 -0600

On 7/14/11 8:20 AM, "Graham Percival" <address@hidden> wrote:

> On Wed, Jul 13, 2011 at 07:12:09PM -0600, Carl Sorensen wrote:
>>
>> Could you prepare a 2.14.2 release?
>
> Nope, sorry.  I see 3 open Critical issues.  Each one of those
> blocks a stable release.

As I see it, all of those issues are present in 2.14.1, so releasing 2.14.2
is not making things worse.

I think we need to sharpen our policy here.  I think that Critical issues
that are regressions when compared with the last stable release should block
a stable release.

I can agree that a new major release (2.14.0) should have no regressions
compared with the previous stable release (2.12.x).

I don't think that critical issues present in 2.14.1 should prevent a
release of 2.14.2 that contains bugfixes, even though it contains the same
Critical issues as 2.14.1.

To my way of thinking, the current stable/2.14 is clearly better than
2.14.1.  There are no bug reports showing that it is worse in any way.

That being said, I guess we're a few days away from having 2 of the 3
critical issues resolved, and I'll argue that the third shouldn't be
critical, since it's not reproducible.

Thanks,

Carl