Re: \footnote 'bug' (or not?)

From: address@hidden
Subject: Re: \footnote 'bug' (or not?)
Date: Sun, 24 Jul 2011 20:51:53 +0200

On Jul 24, 2011, at 6:43 PM, James Lowe wrote:

> Hello,
>
> From Neil P. explaining the finer points of footnote code, while looking at
> my in-progress Doc patch for footnotes
>
> --snip--
>
> \footnote associates a single footnote with a particular event in the
> music (usually a NoteEvent); in a certain sense it behaves like
> \tweak, though I'd suggest to Mike that it actually be changed so its
> behaviour is identical.  Currently we have the situation where it's
> awkward to add footnotes to individual scripts and fingerings:
>
> \relative c' {
>  < c-1-\footnote #'(1 . 2) "foo" "bar" >
> }

This works as such because it is within a chord.  \footnote is written to work
like \tweak.
> -> doesn't apply footnote to fingering, still goes on notehead
>
> \relative c' {
>   c-1-\footnote #'(1 . 2) "foo" "bar"
> }

Here, you'd need to do:

\relative c' {
  \footnoteGrob #'Fingering #'(1 . 1) "foo" "bar" c-1
}

Because the fingering doesn't work like a tweak.

In general, the rule of thumb is:

\footnoteGrob when outside of a chord
\footnote when in a chord (and in this case, you don't specify the grob to
footnote)

Cheers,
MS