Re: GOP-PROP 8: issue priorities (radical update)

From: Trevor Daniels
Subject: Re: GOP-PROP 8: issue priorities (radical update)
Date: Mon, 8 Aug 2011 22:50:02 +0100

Graham Percival wrote Monday, August 08, 2011 6:06 AM

** Proposal summary

Let’s get rid of priorities. We will simply describe bugs in
neutral terms; each contributor can search and interpret the
results as he or she sees fit.

This is a better approach than haggling over priority.

We will make a “Type-Critical”; a new stable release will only
occur if there are 0 type-Critical issues.

** Proposal details

We will delete “priority” altogether. The “type” system will be
tweaked.

Type-critical:

[snipped]

   * anything which stops contributors from helping out (e.g.
     lily-git.tcl not working, source tree(s) not being
     available). To limit this scope of this point, we will
     assume that the contributor is using the latest lilydev and
     has read the relevant part(s) of the Contributor’s Guide.

I agree this is important, but I don't see why it
should prevent a new release per se.

More new/changed types

[snipped]

   * Type-ignorance: (fixme name?) it is not clear what the
     correct output should look like. We need scans, references,
     examples, etc.

I don't think this is a stand-alone type.  It's more a label
which could be applied to several types.

** Shutting up users

We can remind users that they can “star” an issue to indicate that
they care about it. I could not possibly care less about what
users think, but if any contributors want to look at that info and
organize their work schedule according to that, they’re welcome to
do so. Also, the stars might serve as a placebo for users.

I like this suggestion.  There are already 6 open issues with more
than 7 stars, so it's already being used.  In spite of that we'd
need to explain more clearly how to star an issue so all users
can play, with a disclaimer that some issues might not receive
attention however many stars they get.

It will give quite a different rating cf to the priority field. Of the 6
issues with more than 7 stars, 2 are low, 3 medium and 1
abandoned!

Trevor

-----
No virus found in this message.