Re: custom engraver in scheme: accessing nested Music object

From: Reinhold Kainhofer
Subject: Re: custom engraver in scheme: accessing nested Music object
Date: Wed, 10 Aug 2011 14:31:24 +0200

Am Wednesday, 10. August 2011, 13:55:49 schrieb Ricardo Wurmus:
> On Aug 10, Reinhold Kainhofer wrote:
> > > This is the shortened code:
> > It will increase the chances for a useful answer dramatically if you
> > could attach a working example that one just has to run through
> > lilypond,
>
> I was trying to simplify it, because my scheme-foo is only a day old.
> But I guess you are right. Here is a working example of my engraver:
>
>   https://github.com/rekado/Lilystick
>
> The engraver is in stick-tab-engraver.ly, a test file using the engraver
> is test.ly. Running `lilypond test.ly` will generate roughly what I want.

Sorry, but where is the part about articulations? I wasn't asking for an early
version of a larger project, which doesn't even include the code that you are
asking about.

In particular, you say that the music-cause contains the articulations (and
you even copied some output).

I have now spent ~25 minutes trying to strip down the engraver and adding what
you had in your first mail, but I can't reproduce anything. The music-cause
simply does not have any articulations here.
So, I now wasted almost half an hour for what?

> In my code, the `mus' variable contains the music object, which has a
> property `articulations'. This is what the music object looks like when
> displaying it:

If you really want us to spend time helping you, please send us a file that is
(1) simple (i.e. not all the fancy stuff in tab-stick-engraver.ly that does
not have anything to do with your question) and
(2) that can be saved on disk and directly run through lilypond.

Your original example was simple, but it had things like (do-something..),
which is not defined, it had no sample use, it lacked the \layout block etc.

I'm attaching my version of your example in a form as we would expect it, if
you want the slightest chance of some help. Note that you can simply save it
on disk, run lilypond on it and you get the result.
As I said above, I can't reproduce your claim that the music-cause has the
articulations, so probably I did something different from what you had in mind
(but didn't include it in your list). Please adjust the file to show your
problem (and only your problem). In the future, this is the form that we would
expect from you.

So, if you really want us to spend precious time helping you, please make our
life easier by sending really small, relevant examples.

Cheers,
Reinhold

 * http://www.fam.tuwien.ac.at/, DVR: 0005886