Contexts & properties dump suggestion

From: Mark D . Blackwell
Subject: Contexts & properties dump suggestion
Date: Fri, 2 Sep 2011 16:43:18 +0000 (UTC)

For LilyPond newbies, figuring out the proper LilyPond syntax to set any
property, in all the various possible places (both named contexts and context
types) seems to take effort, though it is doable. (Maybe my projects are
unusual. BTW, this isn't why, I suppose, but I am a Ruby programmer.)

This happens when a LilyPond file sufficiently differs from a template in the
LilyPond documentation. (This is a Good Thing, IMO.)

Prompting this is a project (e.g.) with the statement, '\new VaticanaVoice'. I
am trying to alter its equivalent for:

\override Staff.VerticalAxisGroup #'minimum-Y-extent = #'(-4 . 4)

Now, I could learn LilyPond better, or learn to browse the Internals Reference
better, but for LilyPond newbies, may I make this point?:

It would be greatly useful (IMHO) for those who desire to alter a property (but
don't know how) for there to be:

An instruction (perhaps implemented in Scheme?) to dump (to a given file)
information about all currently-alive contexts and their properties.

(The dump would identify the filename and line number where it was called.)

To see the properties created by any given LilyPond statement, or for some other
purpose, the user might again dump from a different place (in her project) and
then compare (probably with the 'diff' tool).

Optimally, for each (currently alive) context property, the dump (it seems to
me) would show the exact LilyPond statement (with correct syntax) usable (in
that place) to 'alter' the property to its same (or current) value.

The user, in a text editor, and referring to the Internals Reference manual,
would select these property-setting statements and alter the values as desired.