Re: Another frog job: pepper the documentation with indexing commands

From: Trevor Daniels
Subject: Re: Another frog job: pepper the documentation with indexing commands
Date: Fri, 16 Sep 2011 00:04:58 +0100

Peekay Ex wrote Thursday, September 15, 2011 10:30 PM

Here is a good (i.e. bad) example of inconsistent and, in my opinion,
'noisy' index entries. This comes from repeats.itely

--snip--

@node Written-out repeats
@unnumberedsubsubsec Written-out repeats

@cindex written-out repeats
@cindex repetitious music
@cindex repeats, written-out
@cindex repeat, unfold
@cindex unfold music
@cindex unfold repeat
@cindex unfold repeat with alternate endings
@cindex unfold music with alternate endings
@cindex alternate ending in written-out repeats
@funindex unfold

--snip--

Yes it's nice to have all the possible ways to say the same thing
indexed for the 1 user that might choose to look for 'repetitious
music' (!!) but please, isn't this just silly?

Yes.  The index is too long, largely because of the
silly See Also entries.

I don't have all the answers but I am sure we could standardize some
of the index entries.

Here are two suggestions for removing index entries:

a) remove entries which are adjacent in the index and
  point to the same section - that removes all those
  starting with unfold except for unfold repeats (I
  prefer the plural)

b) remove entries which start with variations of the
  same word, eg repetitious music

Leaving

@cindex written-out repeats
@cindex repeats, written-out