Re: PATCH: 48-HOur countdown to 22:00 20110918

From: Reinhold Kainhofer
Subject: Re: PATCH: 48-HOur countdown to 22:00 20110918
Date: Sat, 17 Sep 2011 17:21:51 +0200

Am Saturday, 17. September 2011, 05:35:30 schrieb Colin Campbell:
> For 22: MDT Sunday Sept 18:
[...]
> Issue 1888: Introduce a maximum depth for markup evaluation - R 5032041
>
> and the closely related
>
> Issue 380: Try to auto-detect cyclic references in header fields (was
> 'cycling markup reference segfaults') - R 5027042: Fix 380: Auto-detect
> all cyclic references in markups

There's another patch for this issue:
   http://codereview.appspot.com/4951073/

As the general solution (R 5027042) is not able to print out nice error
messages (i.e. tell the user where exactly the problem lies), this patch
handles only the cyclic \fromproperty case and prints a warning that tells the
user exactly which header property has a recursive definition.

I'd like both patches to go in, the first, because it fixes the problem in
general, and the second because it's a more user-friendly special case.

What I'm still missing, though, is how I can nicely print out the contents of
the recursive markup. So far, I'm only able to print the name of the markup
function, but not its contents (i.e. I can only print somehting like
"recursive line-markup encountered", but the user won't know which of his
hundreds of markups in a score causes it).

Cheers,
Reinhold

 * http://www.fam.tuwien.ac.at/, DVR: 0005886