Re: Doc: NR Clarify finer point of repeat unfold (issue 5075047)

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: Doc: NR Clarify finer point of repeat unfold (issue 5075047)
Date: Wed, 21 Sep 2011 10:02:43 +0200

address@hidden writes:

> LGTM.
>
> From what i see, the surprise in this behaviour comes from two meanings
> of "music expression" - it can be understood as "a piece of ly input" or
> "a piece of music".  Shall we write a sentence about this difference?
> I.e. "Using \repeat unfold is equal to writing out a fragment of music
> several times over, not a fragments of ly input"?

If you write

blurb = { c e g a }

{ \blurb \relative c'' \blurb }

is \blurb a fragment of music, or a fragment of ly input?  I am afraid
it is both: relativable music is a weird thing.

And
\relative c' { \blurb \blurb }
is different from
\relative c' \repeat unfold 2 \blurb

The reason that it is different is not that one is "ly input" and the
other is "music", but that making \repeat unfold do something different
from \repeat volta would be a total nuisance, and so we _explicitly_
programmed this case to behave differently.