Re: Problem with git push

From: Reinhold Kainhofer
Subject: Re: Problem with git push
Date: Thu, 22 Sep 2011 15:40:48 +0200

Am Donnerstag, 22. September 2011, 13:44:20 schrieb Phil Holmes:
> On my new machine, I get:
>
> address@hidden:~/lilypond-git$ git push --dry-run
> To ssh://address@hidden/srv/git/lilypond.git
>  ! [rejected]        master -> master (non-fast-forward)
> error: failed to push some refs to
> 'ssh://address@hidden/srv/git/lilypond.git'
> To prevent you from losing history, non-fast-forward updates were rejected
> Merge the remote changes before pushing again.  See the 'Note about
> fast-forwards' section of 'git push --help' for details.
> address@hidden:~/lilypond-git$
>
> I did "See the 'Note about fast-forwards' section of 'git push --help' "
> but it didn't help me at all.  Could anyone point me to what the problem
> is and how to fix it, please?

Someone has pushed a patch to the server, which you have not yet fetched.
"Pushing" in git simply means to set the server's code tree to the exact same
state as you have on your harddisk. Since you don't have that latest commit
yet, git warns you that pushing would discard that patch and that you should
fetch the latest commits from the server before pushing.

Simply fetch from the server:
git pull --rebase

or

git fetch origin