Re: Documentation - long lines

From: Werner LEMBERG
Subject: Re: Documentation - long lines
Date: Sun, 25 Sep 2011 13:39:38 +0200 (CEST)

> When writing some docs (e.g. the CG concerning make) it's inevitable
> that the line will be too long to fit on a single line in the doc.
> This can be helped a bit by setting the font smaller, but in the end
> we'd have to break the line.  My question: is there a standard way of
> showing this?  If not - can we define one?

It depends.  If the input is to be typed on a single line (like shell
commands), the usual convention in GNU documentation is to use the
program's or shell's continuation character (in most cases it is the
backslash):

  make this=is a=too long="input line"

-->

  make this=is \
       a=too \
       long="input line"

On the other hand, languages like Scheme or C++ don't have the concept
of input lines; they use tokens instead.  In such cases, I suggest to
simply indent:

  foo(this, is, a, too_long, input_line);

-->

  foo(this, is, a,