Don't wrap EventChord around rhythmic events by default. (issue 5440084)

From: mtsolo
Subject: Don't wrap EventChord around rhythmic events by default. (issue 5440084)
Date: Fri, 02 Dec 2011 19:50:03 +0000

Hey David,

This patch is way over my head, so I can't really comment on the details
of the implementation, but I just wanted to voice one concern for me
(and possibly other) algorithmic composers.

I have a lot of algorithms written that comb through music streams and
finagle with the elements.  EventChord is the bread and butter unit that
most of these algorithms search for and then slice & dice.

What I'd ask is that lilypond could have an option
(-dwrap-single-rhythmic-events-in-event-chord) that allows for this type
of behavior to continue.  It'll give people in my position time to
migrate code w/o having it completely break on us.  I'm not sure if this
is feasible given the current design of the patch (again, it's over my
head), but around line 765, perhaps keep the old syntax but use a the
results from the -dwarp-single-rhythmic-events-in-event-chord flag in
the if statement instead of !is_event?

Cheers,
MS

http://codereview.appspot.com/5440084/