Re: Doc: CG: add instructions for staging branch (issue 5440080)

From: Phil Holmes
Subject: Re: Doc: CG: add instructions for staging branch (issue 5440080)
Date: Sat, 3 Dec 2011 13:59:21 -0000

----- Original Message ----- From: "Graham Percival" <address@hidden>
To: "Phil Holmes" <address@hidden>
Cc: "Carl Sorensen" <address@hidden>; "Keith OHara" <address@hidden>; <address@hidden>; <address@hidden>; <address@hidden>
Sent: Saturday, December 03, 2011 11:19 AM

On Sat, Dec 03, 2011 at 10:51:49AM -0000, Phil Holmes wrote:
My (simple) workflow is that I use lily-git to
pull, make my changes, use lily-git to commit and create a patch,
then I usually abort my changes.  I then use command line to fetch
staging, apply my patch and push to staging, using David's
instructions on how to do this.  We might consider that kind of work
flow in the CG, for people like me who aren't experienced with git.

I like it!  and that's basically what I do, anyway, although I use
git command-line to create my patch.  I'm never certain what's in
git in which branch, so I like seeing an actual .patch file
(created from git format-patch).  I think it's easier to explain
this way of working rather than the fully branch-based approach,
since it leaves those explicit patch files floating around.

How about I explain that method in detail in the CG, prepended by
the warning "if you know git, all you need to know is that you
should push to staging" ?  We'll keep the links to git tutorials
in case anybody who doesn't know git still wants to learn the
"proper" way of working with git.

This is the instructions I wrote to myself:

Before you start thinking about pushing a patch to staging, you
need to ensure you have the correct local branches up to date.
One time only, edit the .git/config file to look like this (there
will be other lines and sections, don't touch these):

@example
[remote "origin"]
fetch = +refs/heads/*:refs/remotes/origin/*
url = ssh://git.sv.gnu.org/srv/git/lilypond.git
@end example

Now, each time you want to make a change and push to staging, do
the following:

@example
git fetch # (to be sure you have the current version of staging)
git checkout origin/staging
# ... make and commit your change ... e.g. with git am patchname
git push origin HEAD:staging
@end example

Note that this does not work well for complex changes on other
branches - if you're doing this you'll need to have better git
understanding.

--
Phil Holmes