Re: 2.12.21 regtests

From: address@hidden
Subject: Re: 2.12.21 regtests
Date: Fri, 9 Dec 2011 09:03:38 +0100

Le Dec 9, 2011 à 5:50 AM, Keith OHara a écrit :

> Keith OHara <k-ohara5a5a <at> oco.net> writes:
>
>>>    ‘multi-measure-rest-standard.ly'
>>>    ‘multi-measure-rest-tweaks.ly’
>>>    ‘spacing-measure-length.ly’
>>
>> These went bad with 54495e, which I think was issue 2053, but the change
>> didn't show up in the regression tests posted at that issue.
>
> That is it.  Maybe it is an uninitialized variable issue because it only
> appears for rests-only scores.
>
> Probably pure-from-neighbor-engraver needs to better handle the case when
> there are no neighbors.
>
> I'm staying out of it because I remain convinced that there is no need
> for glyphs to survey their neighbors to find their 'pure'.

I know I've given my three cents about pure from neighbors, but I believe that
LilyPond functions best when she thinks like a human engraver, and I am
convinced that this is the thinking that runs through the head of engravers
when they do their thing.  They have a graphical object and they know that they
don't want collisions with the object, but there is also "air space" above and
below (just go with me on the below...it kinda ruins the air space analogy, but
you get the idea) the object that they don't want to be flown over/under.  This
space must correspond to the heights of the neighbors on the staff but not in
other contexts (like Lyrics).

I see that these measures have gotten shorter, but where is the problem?  What
is the standard against which this regtest is being compared?  The texidoc
string doesn't make any mention of the length of the measures as an indicator
of correctness.  Do you have the impression that multi-measure-rest-length is
detrimentally affected in lines of real music?

Cheers,
MS