Re: Positioning of two voices is inconsistent

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: Positioning of two voices is inconsistent
Date: Sun, 11 Dec 2011 17:33:38 +0100

James <address@hidden> writes:

>> Your newsreader litters the source with unbreakable spaces.  Makes it
>> harder to work with.
>

> Hmm...
>
> I'm just using gmail on chrome
>
> Is this better?
>

> \version "2.14.1"
>
> { << { e'1 } \\ { e'''1 } >> | }
> { << { e'''1 } \\ { e'1 } >> | }
> { << { e'1 } \\ { e''1 } >> | }
> { << { e''1 } \\ { e'1 } >> | }
> { << { e'1 } \\ { e1 } >> | }
> { << { e1 } \\ { e'1 } >> | }
>
> (I explicitly converted his email to plain text in gmail - it still
> looks the same my side)

This is better, but then one would presumably not know the difference
since there are no double spaces and no spaces at the start of the line
any more.

>> > Is this expected engraving/LP behaviour?
>>
>> Well, try it with stemmed notes.  Does it make it clearer?
>
> Yes I see. Thanks. I don't often use multiple 'voices' in my music and
> find that 'chorded' notes is enough for my needs.

I actually don't know how voice crossings are usually engraved using
whole notes.  One would probably at least add lines (somewhat like
glissandi) connecting the whole notes with other notes from their voice.

In that case, having the whole note shifted is likely not the worst
idea.  The shifting alone is likely not enough of a clue for the typical
musician unless it appears systematically enough in the score.