Re: $LILYHOME as $TEXMFHOME with LaTeX

From: Keith OHara
Subject: Re: $LILYHOME as $TEXMFHOME with LaTeX
Date: Sun, 11 Dec 2011 22:36:30 +0000 (UTC)

Denis Bitouzé <dbitouze <at> wanadoo.fr> writes:

> I read the way of including LilyPond files here:

>   2. or with the LilyPond directory ‘../ly’.

>   2. with the 2nd one, the 'ly' directory could be
> removed/replaced/overwritten when LilyPond is upgraded or reinstalled.

Maybe there is a misunderstanding, or maybe there is a third way.
If you write
  \include "../common.ily"
then LilyPond reads the file 'common.ily' in the directory one level up from
the location of the source file -- not from the installation directory.

One problem with a $__HOME directory is that it encourages people to make
their own custom setups.  With other software that has uses this local-file
concept, I find it harder to collaborate with people, because we tend to
forget to send each other those files, and worse we forget to re-send them
if we change them.

I'm happy if somebody implements %LILYHOME, but then let's avoid using it.