Re: Return value of display-scheme-music

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: Return value of display-scheme-music
Date: Sat, 17 Dec 2011 05:28:24 +0100

Keith OHara <address@hidden> writes:

> David Kastrup <dak <at> gnu.org> writes:
>
>> > I think the reason is to support \displayMusic, which lets users see
>> > the internal representation of a bit of their music along with the
>> > output.
>>
>> That kind of support is neither required nor used by \displayMusic.
>>
> ??
> Well, of course the *user* of \displayMusic requires the music expression
> to be returned.  I can't tell if \displayMusic returns what it got from
> display-scheme-music, or if it generates its own copy to return, but David
> can, so please check if you haven't already.

Color me surprised.  What about "The LilyPond code base (including
regtests) does not make use of that feature" was so hard to understand?

And even if you think I made that claim as well as "That kind of support
is neither required nor used by \displayMusic" without any foundation
while permitting myself to bypass the review procedures: you can't tell
if \displayMusic returns what it got from display-scheme-music?

git grep -5 "^displayMusic"

takes shorter to type than writing one, let alone two such mails (and
that's not counting the time to read them for even a single reader of
this list, and for everyone to get unflustered again) and delivers

ly/music-functions-init.ly-to the console.")
ly/music-functions-init.ly-   (newline)
ly/music-functions-init.ly-   (display-lily-music music parser)
ly/music-functions-init.ly-   music)
ly/music-functions-init.ly-
ly/music-functions-init.ly:displayMusic =
ly/music-functions-init.ly-#(define-music-function (parser location music)
(ly:music?)
ly/music-functions-init.ly-   (_i "Display the internal representation of
@var{music} to the console.")
ly/music-functions-init.ly-   (newline)
ly/music-functions-init.ly-   (display-scheme-music music)
ly/music-functions-init.ly-   music)

I apologize for making it unpleasant to review me.  Probably that was
part of the reason I was skipping the review process here.